Monday, November 9, 2009

Celebrating Thanksgiving

So, I've been thinking the last couple of days about the holidays (obviously :). As I've been thinking, I've realized that I usually just kind of pass Thanksgiving by a little bit. Don't get me wrong. I totally love it, and I get very excited to hang out with my family and get some days off work, etc. :) But I'm usually kind of waiting for Christmas, or life just kind of goes on and then all of a sudden it's Thanksgiving and then it's over.
I want this, and the future years to be different. I want to "get in the mood" for Thanksgiving, if that makes any sense. I guess this was reiterated by a fabulous Stake Conference that I had this weekend where one of the things emphasized was the importance of being grateful.
So now I'm pondering on things I can do to both more fully recognize the many blessings I have been given and also to show my gratitude to my Heavenly Father. I've come up with a few things, but I'm wondering what you do.
How do you prepare yourself for Thankgsiving, or what do you do that makes it a little more special?

4 comments:

Janell R. Cropper said...

I've been looking up fun Thanksgiving Crafts to do for Steven and for our play group. You can start a jar that each day you put in a piece of paper of something you're thankful for :)

Hilary Jan said...

My blog today was mostly for you :)

Jenny said...

I don't know. I need to be better at this myself!

Liz said...

Hey, I came up with something! I know it is way too late because Thanksgiving has been over for a couple of weeks now - but oh well - it is 5:30 in the morning and I've been half awake/half asleep for the past 3 hours - which might mean that once I'm fully awake I'll realize my idea is full of flaws. For some reason, being half awake and 3 in the morning, I suddenly had to start wondering how I was going to teach my future children that Christmas is more than just getting presents. One idea that I came up with (I think I may have stolen this idea from the rotary club) was to start the beginning of November with a "gratitude jar" And everyday (maybe around family dinner time) we can share something in our lives that we are grateful for, and then donate X amount of money to the gratitude jar. Then in December decide how to best use that money (donate to a sub for Santa organization, or for a family in our ward, etc). So, along the lines of "because I have been given much I too must give" to remind us how blessed we are, and our responsibility to serve others.

The test will be to see if I can remember any of this when I actually wake up for real today - if so then I have like a 30-50% chance of actually remembering it in time for the next Holiday Season.