Sunday, September 11, 2011

9/11

Ten years ago today, tragedy struck our nation. As I think many people are doing, I remember exactly where I was and I remember watching the twin towers collapse live on TV. It was a time that will be talked about in history classes and discussed decades down the road. And I lived it. I really believe it was a defining moment in the history of the United States. One of it's many. And as I reflect, I remember the response of the people of the United States and I'm reminded why a deep fire of patriotism blazes in my heart. Because of what this country truly is.

I think many things in the last few years have gotten in the way of remembering what our country is, what it was founded upon, and the greatness of the people that live here. It truly is awe-inspiring to remember the bravery, the courage and the great humanity in the responses of the citizens of the United States. Firefighters and police officers, cilivians in the street and so many others. Terrorists thought that by attacking us, they might destroy us. But they can't destroy something that is deep within the hearts of so many people. (Hence, why I re-posted someone's version of Dr. Suess with God Bless Uville).

The greatest thing about it that I really remember is how much people came together and how much people turned to God. I loved what Tom Brokaw said, about the song "God Bless America" becoming the unofficial anthem of the attacks on Sept. 11th. "It bound together a nation in need of a common voice. Today with arms outstretched to one another and hands willing to serve, American has come together once again. May it ever be so." I get frustrated with the petty differences we allow to divide us and divert us from our true course. And I get frustrated with myself that I do the exact same thing. And I pray to a loving Heavenly Father that He will watch over and guide us and that we will stand together as a people. That no matter what the world may throw at us, we will remember the foundation upon which we are built. The foundation of inspired and honorable men who laid the beginnings of this nation, under God, as a place of liberty and freedom. And the foundation of men and women who have continually given their lives throughout the years to protect something that is so dear and precious. And most importantly, the foundation laid by God, under whom this nation was built, to serve Him and follow Him. Because if we lose sight of that, as I fear this nation is starting to do, I don't want to see what's going to happen.


As the stormclouds gather, far across the sea
Let us swear allegiance to a land that's free.
Let us all be grateful for a land so fair,
As we raise our voices in a song of prayer


God bless America,
Land that I love.
Stand beside her, and guide her
Through the night with the lights from above.
From the mountains, to the prairies,
To the oceans white with foam
God bless America, my home sweet home.
God bless America, my home sweet home.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

beautiful post Sheri. Thanks sister!