Sunday, October 7, 2012

Savory Cheese Soup


Look at me. Cookin' up a storm. I'm pretty excited that cold weather is coming/somewhat here. I'm decided that I don't want to live with regrets, and one regret that I have is that last winter I just did not utilize soup or hot chocolate the way it should be. So I'm repenting. :) 

Anywho, I'm on the hunt for some good ones. My bro and sis-in-law gave me a recipe book for Christmas last year and I was looking through today and thinking, what looks good that also only includes ingredients that I currently have in my house. And I found this one. So I tried it and whala! (How on earth do you spell whala by the way?) This was actually quite tasty. Tasty enough that I will actually make it again? YES! And tasty enough that I will even eat the leftovers tomorrow? YES! (And that's actually saying a lot...)  So if you want to enjoy, here's the recipe.
**And I also just had to note. Remember that post further down where I was trying to grow some things? Well most of it didn't work. However, the carrots did and I used my own window-sill grown carrots for the soup! Go me.

Savory Cheese Soup1/4 cup chopped onion
3 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
2 cups milk
1 can (14.5 oz) vegetable or chicken broth
1/2 cup shredded carrots
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
1 1/2 cups (6 oz) shredded cheddar cheese
3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Minced chives, optional
In a large saucepan (3 qt.), sauté onion in butter until tender. Add the flour, salt, pepper and garlic powder, stir until smooth. Gradually add milk; cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Meanwhile, bring broth to a boil in a saucepan. Add carrot and celery; simmer for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add to milk mixture and stir until blended. Reduce heat; add cheeses. Cook and stir until melted (do not boil). Garnish with chives if desired. Yield: 4 servings

1 comment:

Holly said...

Sounds yummy :) I love the fall ....at least yummy warm savory delicious soups :)