Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Happy Birthday America!

In a letter to his wife Abigail, John Adams told her of the actions of the Continental Congress on July 2, 1776. "The second day of July, 1776 [the actual day the Declaration was signed], will be the most memorable epoch in the history of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary Festival. It ought to be commemorated, as the Day of Deliverance, by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires and illuminations, from one end of the continent to the other, from this time forward forever."

I know this is a few days after the fact, (after all, when am I ever right on top of posting things on time) but I just wanted to make a small note about the 4th of July. It's definitely one of my favorite holidays and I got to spend it in Richfield with my family, which is a big tradition. Lots of good times to be had! I'm grateful for the many blessings that I enjoy living in this country and the great country that it is!

2 comments:

Emily said...

Big fan of John Adams. I hope you had a great 4th in Richfield. Love the cake too!

Marc and Lori Johnson said...

Amen. the 4th is a great holiday! did you make that cake? Wow, I am impressed.